Items Prohibited on Campus
Please note that the Brighton Center for Recovery reserves the right to restrict any item even if not listed below that has the potential to pose a threat to the safety of its patients and staff or that may compromise the integrity of the program or the recovery environment.
Prohibited for clinical reasons:
- Alcohol, illegal substances or drug paraphernalia
- Any product which has alcohol listed as a 1st, 2nd or 3rd ingredient
- Bath salts
- K2 or other such substances
- Any cigarettes or other tobacco products (including electronic cigarettes) are NOT permitted.
- Any homemade food, food not in its original sealed packaging, and food that exceeds a single serving size.
- Pornography or sexually suggestive material
- Provocative clothing such as short shorts, miniskirts, see through material, tank tops, low cut tops
- Any belongings representing alcohol/drugs, profanity, gambling
- Any electronic equipment
- Video games
- Laptops, IPads
- All Kindles, Nooks and other electronic reading devices
- Radio alarm clocks
- Radios, IPods, MP3 devices
- DVD players
- Business or school related paperwork/homework
- DVDs, movies, music or tapes
Prohibited for security reasons:
- Weapons including pocket knives
- Other illegal or stolen items
- Pirated movies, DVD’s or other copyrighted materials
- Items of high and/or sentimental value
- Large amounts of cash, credit cards
- Musical instruments
- Sport equipment
Prohibited for medical reasons:
- Diabetic patients cannot bring their own syringes or insulin, these will be supplied through our facility.
- Diabetic patients cannot bring their personal glucometers for use during their stay. Diabetic patients who are being admitted for treatment will utilize a Brighton glucometer.
- Exceptions requiring medical approval
- Glucometers attached to insulin pumps
- Glucometers used by residents of the halfway house
- Fragrances such as after shave, cologne, perfume
- Aerosol containers
Prohibited for sanitation reasons:
- Blankets, pillow, sheets brought from home
- Exception: residents admitted to the halfway house will be instructed to obtain these items at the time of their admission to the house.
- Food, candy, and beverages from home
- Pre-packaged food items that would require storage (patient luggage and/or patient rooms cannot be used for food storage, and patient items cannot be stored in hospital refrigerators or food storage cupboards, pantries, etc.)
- Stuffed animals
- Hair Clippers
- Foam mattresses or supports
- Exceptions are patients coming with pre-diagnosed chronic pain issues who have a physician order and our medical staff orders its use.
Prohibited for confidentiality reasons:
- Cell phones
Prohibited for housekeeping reasons:
- Glass containers (ask families to request a basket or plastic container for flowers)
- Picture frames with glass in them; patients or family must remove the glass if item is brought.
- Nail polish and nail polish remover
- Any form of glue
Items Requiring a Medical Staff Order Before Use
- Foam mattresses
- Medications from home that are difficult to readily secure through the pharmacy in a timely manner. These are rare exceptions:
- HIV medications
- Tens units
- Oxygen concentrators
- C-Pap machines
- Insulin pumps
- Colostomy supplies
- Birth control
Patients are informed to be selective about the items they bring as all items brought are at the patient’s full risk. Brighton does not accept any responsibility for lost, stolen or damaged items that are in the patient’s possession or in the patient’s room.
Patients who have a valuable item may have this item locked into the facilities safe where it will be stored until it is either sent home with family or upon the patient’s discharge. Patients will not be able to retrieve items from safe under any other conditions.